BASSETERRE, St. Kitts - IN memory of the life of the late Rev. Dr. William M. Connor OBE and the service and work he rendered in the vineyard of God, a monument, aptly dubbed the Dr. William M. Connor Memorial Square, was erected and officially unveiled on Sunday (June 2).
The unveiling followed a Dedication Service held at the foot of the Infirmary Road, which was attended by – among others – Pastors and members of the Antioch Baptist Church (ABC); Parliamentary Representative for the area, the Hon. Sam T. Condor; his wife and Chair of the Project Committee Eugenie Condor; former Governor of St. Kitts, Sir Probyn Innis and his wife; and Chairman of the TDC Group of Companies Michael Morton and his wife.
The square is beautifully fitted with elaborate stonework, benches, paved walkways, picket fencing and a centre piece which features a white cross atop of it. And following the ceremony and the cutting of the ribbon – which was performed by Dr. Connor’s relatives – the featured attraction of the construct was revealed.
A monument – measuring approximately six feet in height – with what appears to be a marble plaque affixed to its front and a cube-like structure sitting atop and bearing pictures of Rev. Dr. Connor, sits in the south-eastern corner of the Square.
The plaque reads, “Dr. Williams Connor Memorial Park dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of Dr. William M. Connor O.B.E. on Sunday, June 2nd 2013 in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Antioch Baptist Church. To build on a solid rock is to follow biblical advice.
“As pioneer and visionary, Rev. Dr. William Connor, OBE began his religious work with the establishment of a Sunday school in this community in 1949. Rev. Connor along with 21 charter members painstakingly structured the foundation of the Baptist movement in St. Kitts-Nevis with the pioneering of the Antioch Baptist Church on March 5, 1963. Dr. William Connor a hero of the people and champion of God’s course 1921-1990.”
The square is located at the foot of the Infirmary Road, just meters from the Antioch Baptist Church.
Rev. Dr. Connor’s great nephew – Pastor Lincoln Connor who now shepherds the Antioch flock - explained that in addition to honouring life and contributions of Dr. Connor, the erection and unveiling of the monument servers a number of other purposes.
He said it is significant because it serves to commemorate the Church’s 50th anniversary, and it is in the heart of De Village.
As beautiful as the space is, Pastor Connor informed that plans are afoot for additions to be made, including the creation and erection of a bust of Dr. Connor.
“The memorial is still in its embryonic stages, so it will become more or less a walkway of faith where you can read several plaques and engage in expansion of knowledge concerning Dr. Connor and the area. It is hoped that as people read and observe that they would be able to discuss how the memorial came about and who Dr. Connor was. Because, in speaking of who he was, it gives the sense that you can accomplish anything with God, which is what his life story expressed and which was his fundamental belief.
“We believe the area itself would stimulate conversation amongst tourists too, because we are going to improve upon it and eventually you are going to see taxi busses taking tourists there and becoming another place they can stop on their island tour. We believe it would become another landmark.”
Special thanks were given to the Government of St. Kitts-Nevis for granting permission to adopt the site, Michael Morton of TDC, Dennis Phillip and Carib Crafts and Graphics, Stanley Franks and CONTEC, Mr. Hillock and All Solutions, Leroy Ponteen and Ponteen’s Metal Craft, Alphonso Dyer and all others who contributed to the cause.