There are four major political parties that usually contest federal elections in the federation of St. Kitts and Nevis. The St. Kitts Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP) and the Peoples Action Movement (PAM) contest the eight(8) political seats on St. Kitts. In Nevis, the Nevis Reformation Party (NRP) and the Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM) do battle for the three (3) seats on that Island.
St. Kitts Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP)
The St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party (formerly the St. Kitts Workers League Limited) was established in 1932. It was established as a vanguard party passionately committed to empower the masses of the country. It aims and objectives include:
- To achieve and maintain political independence for the people of the State.
- To promote the political, social and economic welfare of all of the people of the State.
- To maintain a vigorous and conscious political vanguard for removing all forms of oppression and for the maintenance of a democratic government.
- To work with and in the interest of the St Kitts-Nevis Trades and Labour Union and other kindred organizations, in joint political or other actions, in harmony with the Constitution and Standing Orders of the Party.
- To co-operate with other democratic organizations in the Caribbean and elsewhere with a view to promoting the welfare of our country and the Caribbean.
- To secure and maintain the complete unity of the people of the State in their struggle for political, social and economic advancement.
Peoples Action Movement (PAM)
|Party Leader - Hon. Shaun Richards
The People's Action Movement (P.A.M) was formed in St. Kitts in 19 January, 1965 by William V. Herbert. It was formed to oppose the Government, where necessary, with respect to its attitude and approach to the numerous unsolved problems of our area.
The People’s Action Movement operates on the basis of putting people first. They have always been committed to the advancement of all of their people. PAM created the environment which enabled the people to develop a spirit of entrepreneurship and self-reliance, leading to an improved quality of life and standard of living. PAM empowered the people.
The aims of the party include:
- Unity of the entire population of St. Kitts - Nevis and the integration of all classes.
- Action and work instead of apathy.
- The organization of a multiple party system so as to produce an efficient government.
Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM)
|Party Leader - Vance Amory
In 1987 the Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM) was formed on the founding principle of constitutional reform. The Concerned Citizens Movement advocated for more autonomy for the island of Nevis so that Nevisians would have full control over the affairs of the island. In June 1992 CCM was elected to govern Nevis. The Premier in his New years message for 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1996 called for reform of the constitution.
In preparation for the Federal elections which were due in 1993, CCM published a policy statement which outlined:
that constitutional reform was necessary for the people of Nevis to have full control over the legislative, political and economic decisions which affect the island.
that the islands of St. Kitts and Nevis develop along lines that are conducive to the specific situations that are unique to each island
that the constitutional arrangement between the islands is absurd and serves only to frustrate the wishes of the people of Nevis.
that the wishes of the Nevis Island Government and the people of Nevis should not have to be sanctioned or approved by the Federal Government in St. Kitts.
that constitutional reform will take the affairs of Nevis out of the control of a political party in St. Kitts.
Nevis Reformation Party (NRP)
|Party Leader - Joseph Parry
The Nevis Reformation Party was formed in 1970 to provide a better life for Nevisians. They were elected to govern Nevis between 1980 and 1992 and are now serving Nevisians again having been elected on July 10 2006.