By Curtis Morton
Nevis Sports Page
CHARLESTOWN, Nevis-FORMER Nevisian and Leewards Islands opening batsman, Livingstone ‘Jabs’ Lawrence is adamant that he had no part in the selection of the Leewards Islands senior cricket team which leaves for Jamaica today (Jan 5).
In an interview conducted yesterday, Lawrence explained that he is indeed a part of the panel of selectors given the responsibility to select the team. Originally the selectors were due to go to Antigua to witness a portion of the trial match, but at short notice he received information that they should not travel again as the West Indies Cricket Board needed the list of players urgently in order to make flight arrangements.
He was then told that the selectors would deliberate via teleconference. He further explained that by Saturday evening he had received no further word and so called the Chairman of selectors, Percy Daniel on Sunday morning, only to be told that the team had been selected on the previous day via teleconference and without his input.
Lawrence has expressed his annoyance at such a happening and wants to make it absolutely clear that he was not a part of the selection process in this particular instance. He also hinted that had he been given the opportunity, the names of Elsroy Powell and Daynason Browne would have been on his priority list.
Lawrence is hoping that such an irregular system of team selection will be done away with immediately as he cannot see the Leeward Islands and its cricketers progressing with such negativity.
Chairman of the selectors, Percy Daniel in an interview on Choice Radio sports rap yesterday also confirmed that the team was selected via tele conference and without Lawrence’s input.
He too expressed disappointment with the system of selection and would be seeking to ensure that under his tenure, such is not the case in the future.