Within the Solid Waste Management Corporation, the Landfill Manager manages the landfill operations to ensure all activities are in compliance with safety, environmental and equipment maintenance policies. The position reports to the General Manager oversees and all matters related to the landfill operations and oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs and leads all operations to ensure compliance with standards; and drives change management initiatives to introduce and sustain new processes that contribute to the growth and durability of the operations of the Corporation
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Is process-oriented and results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
• Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
• Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
• Demonstrates and promotes ethical behavior.
• Has strong leadership skills; builds and works with teams and able to direct large
• Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Business.
• Certification or Training in Landfill operation will be considered a plus.
• Experience in labor relations.
• Previous experience in understanding and management of P&L line items.
• Prior experience in landfill daily operations including, scheduling and planning, waste placement and soil/ cover usage/management will be considered a plus.
• Project Management experience is a must
1. Responsible for the management of the staff, training, coaching, performance management; develop supervisory goals and objectives; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
2. Evaluate the site and service requirements of the landfill to develop an effective and efficient waste disposal management plan.
3. Work closely with the General Manager, and Planning Engineer to develop and maintain fill sequencing plans and ensure density goals are achieved.
4. Drive functional plans within the operations group to execute against the business plan to achieve or exceed the Corporation’s budget and strategic plan to grow the business, and meet or exceed service objectives.
5. Plan and implement the operational procedures for the receiving and disposing of waste, completion of construction projects and yard maintenance.
6. Manage relationship with all outside contractors.
7. Establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours.
8. Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting and ethics.
9. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified.
10. Develop and implement a site beautification plan.
Interested, qualified persons should send a résumé and cover letter addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager
Solid Waste Management Corporation
P.O. Box 1280
Taylors Range, Basseterre, St. Kitts
Deadline for receipt of applications: Friday, October 26, 2018