Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the position of: Principal / Superintendent RUSVM Preparatory School
A career with Ross Vet is more than just a job; it is an extraordinary opportunity to join an innovative, collaborative community of passionate professionals making a difference every day by advancing human and animal health through the power of education.
We make a difference by providing our students with an unparalleled learning experience as they prepare for lifelong career success as today’s veterinarians and tomorrow’s leaders. Ross Vet colleagues thrive in a culture that encourages personal growth and professional development, bringing meaning and purpose to everything we do.
Reporting to the Vice President, Operations, the Superintendent’s core objective is to direct the school, students and teachers towards the school’s vision. The superintendent accomplishes this by annually developing a program plan for the school that includes instruction, performance, technology and areas of special emphasis. The superintendent selects and assigns colleagues to achieve the goals of the educational program, while ensuring that the students are receiving a high quality education.
Achieving academic excellence requires that the superintendent work collaboratively to direct and nurture all members of the prep school team and to communicate effectively with parents. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for scheduling, curriculum development, accreditation, extracurricular and after school activities, personnel management, emergency planning and facility operations. The superintendent serves as the educational leader, responsible for managing the policies, regulations, and procedures to ensure that all students are supervised in a safe learning environment that meets the approved curricula and mission of the school.
• Establish and promote high standards and expectations for academic performance and conduct of the student.
• Ensure the continued middle-states accreditation of the Preparatory School.
• Prepare the annual budget and manage activities at the school to ensure budget compliance.
• Manage, evaluate and implement clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the school consistent with the mission and vision of the institution. This will include instructional programs, extracurricular activities, discipline systems, program evaluation, personnel management, operations and emergency procedures.
• Establish the annual schedule for instructional programs, ensuring sequential learning experiences for students consistent with the school’s vision.
• Oversee ongoing review and updating of Curriculum to ensure a high quality learning experience.
• Supervise the instructional programs of the school, evaluate lesson plans and observe classes (teaching, as duties allow) on a regular basis to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with good pedagogical practice.
• Establish procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment, approving all recommendations.
• Chair the Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) and update the committee on the needs, successes and general operation of the school.
• Supervise in a fair and consistent manner effective discipline and attendance systems with high standards. Ensure a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among colleagues and students.
• Establish a professional rapport with students and colleagues. Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents and school personnel. Serve as a role model for students, demonstrating the importance and relevance of learning, accepting responsibility, and demonstrating pride in the education profession. Encourage all teachers to do the same.
• Notify immediately the appropriate individuals when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or students appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
• Conduct meetings, as necessary, for the proper functioning of the school.
• Establish and maintain an effective inventory system for school supplies, materials and equipment.
• In collaboration with the Senior Manager for Facilities, establish and ensure compliance with procedures that ensure school facilities are safe and fit for purpose.
• In collaboration with the Director of Safety and Security and the Environmental, Health and Safety Manager, develop and implement emergency/disaster procedures and ensure regular safety drills.
In collaboration with the Director of IT ensure that the program is equipped with the appropriate technology to ensure a high quality academic experience.
• Establish schedules and procedures for the supervision of students in non-classroom areas (including before and after school).
• Communicate regularly with parents so as to create a cooperative relationship to support the student in the school.
• Establish procedures for safe storing and integrity of all the school records. Ensure that student records are complete and current.
• Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
• Organize and supervise procedures for identifying and addressing special issues of students including health-related concerns, physical and emotional needs.
• Attend required meetings and extra school sponsored functions.
• Other projects and duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Education or Leadership related field.
• Current teaching or specialty credentials. North American credentials will be an advantage.
• A minimum of five years of North American middle/elementary school experience or international school experience.
• A proven record of strong leadership skills, including the ability to communicate clearly to diverse groups and to mentor/lead teams.
• Ability to plan and implement appropriate educational programs.
• Ability to analyze data for trends and performance in various programs and to develop strategies for improvement.
• Ability to facilitate groups to consensus.
• Ability to supervise implementation of a sound budgeting process.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
Interested applicants should apply online www.rossu.edu/careers