Don’t (do NOT)…
- Keep it short; your cover letter should be no longer than one page – four paragraphs max.
- Keep it neat, organized and to the point. Proofread!
- Use a font and type size that is easy to read.
- Use standard 8 ½ x 11 white bond paper.
- Customize your letter for the position you’re applying for.
- Address it to a specific person. Not sure who to send it to? Find out!
- Refer to qualifications, experience and skills that are used in the job posting.
- Indicate your knowledge of the company.
- Use action words and powerful verbs.
- Remember to include your contact information (name, address and phone number).
- Turn your cover letter into a novel.
- Handwrite your letter.
- Use double spaces to format your letter.
- Use brightly coloured or scented paper.
- Overuse the word “I.”
- Start with a weak opening, and please – no clichés.
- Omit your strongest selling points.
- Be vague.
- Be rude and don’t try to be funny (unless the position calls for a sense of humour).
- Forget to sign your letter.