August 12th, 2019 -- SPBS set a course to recognize volunteer organizations whose main mission was to serve the Caribbean diaspora and collided with Friends of Kellis Inc. After careful evaluations we nominated and selected KELLITS to receive the Distinguished Community Service Award. The award will be presented at the Awards Gala in NY on August 31st. The event will be held under the distinguished patronage of the Honorable Selwyn S.C. Walters. The theme of the event is “Working Together for A Brighter Future”.
Friends of Kellits Inc., a group of Jamaican nationals living in the USA, has been giving back to their nationals at home in the Northern Clarendon school district.
In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s a group of friends would meet in Brooklyn to bring in the New Year. One thing they all had in common was the fact that most of them were immigrants from Jamaica, but even more most of them were from Northern Clarendon. After years of meeting in that format it was suggested that it would be a good idea to form an Association that would be made up of immigrants from the” Hills of Clarendon” and were living in the state of New York. This enthusiasm came to fruition in the Summer of 1991 in the Bronx when the concept of the Friends of Kellits was born.
One of the primary functions of the Friends of Kellits Inc. is to give assistance to needy students from Northern Clarendon. Scholarships are awarded yearly to one student from each of the five schools in the area. Students continue to receive these scholarships for the duration of the five years that they are in school.
However, while the primary goal is to help its members here in New York, our mission is to provide assistance and support to our communities in Jamaica.
The objectives of the Association include:
1. Promoting unity, preserving, perpetuating and maintaining fellowship among members and their guest;
2. Sponsoring and promoting educational and social interaction between members and their guests;
3. Sponsoring, promoting and engaging in ventures of a social, recreational or cultural nature, including the promotion of concerts, contest, dances, dinners, theater events, athletic sport and other activities;
4. Holding and arranging social functions, matches, competitions and displays, an offering or contributing toward prizes, awards and distinctions;
5. Cooperating with other organizations including non-affiliate of our districts, incorporated or not, which have objectives in whole or in part similar to the objectives of the Association;
6. Promoting the ideals of the Association; and
7. Giving assistance whenever possible to the members of the Association and their guests.
The Sandy Point Benevolent Society (SPBS) is pleased to award the Friends of Kellits Inc., with the Distinguished Community Service Award for 2019. The presentation will be made at the annual gala at Maestros Banquet Hall, in the Bronx, NY on August 31, 2019 from 8pm to 2 am.
This article was posted in its entirety as received by SKNVibes.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of SKNVibes.com, its sponsors or advertisers