BASSETERRE, St. Kitts - THE number of COVID-19 infections within the ongoing ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup has increased, as cases have popped up within the West Indies squad on the eve of their encounter against Sri Lanka.
Two players from the squad have reportedly returned positive results last evening (Jan. 20) and were forced to be isolated.
This comes several days after the Board of Control for Cricket in India confirmed that six of its young players based in Trinidad and Tobago had tested positive and were isolating.
According to the International Cricket Council (ICC), Onaje Amory and Jaden Carmichael have tested positive. They were isolating and temporarily replaced within the West Indies squad.
“The ICC has confirmed that the Event Technical Committee of the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup 2022 has approved Kevin Wickham and Nathan Edwards as replacements for Onaje Amory and Jaden Carmichael in the West Indies squad,” the ICC said in a media statement.
It was previously reported that several players and coaching staff had returned positive results while the regional side was based in Guyana for their opening game.
When contacted at that time, Cricket West Indies President Ricky Skerrit had only indicated that he could not comment on the situation, noting that there were medical issues while the team was in Georgetown.
Meanwhile, the ICC said, “Wickham and Edwards are temporary replacements for Amory and Carmichael who have tested positive for COVID-19 and are undergoing a period of isolation. A COVID replacement can be temporary, in that once the player has recovered he would be eligible to return to the squad in position of the player that replaced him.”
The tournament is currently being played in a biosecure bubble.