BASSETERRE, St. Kitts – AFTER weeks of public discussion surrounding the Federation’s agreement with the United States to accept third-country deportees, the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis has confirmed that three individuals from CARICOM member states have been transferred to the Federation.
According to a statement issued by the St. Kitts-Nevis Information Service (SKNIS), the individuals are nationals of Jamaica and Belize and were scheduled to arrive in the Federation today, May 19, from the United States of America (USA).
The government has not disclosed details regarding the logistical arrangements or where the individuals will be accommodated while in the Federation.
However, officials stated that the transfer is being carried out under the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed between the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis and the Government of the USA concerning the transfer of certain third-country nationals who are citizens of CARICOM member states.
“In accordance with the arrangements outlined in the MOU, at no cost to the Government of Saint Kitts and Nevis, the individuals will be processed through the established immigration and security procedures of Saint Kitts and Nevis and will be granted the immigration status and legal accommodation ordinarily applicable to CARICOM nationals within the Federation,” the statement read.
Earlier this year, the government confirmed that St. Kitts and Nevis would join a growing number of CARICOM territories agreeing to accept deportees from the United States. Officials stressed, however, that only CARICOM nationals without criminal records would be accepted under the arrangement.
“St. Kitts and Nevis has negotiated and entered into an MOU with the United States of America for the potential transfer of certain third-country nationals,” Prime Minister Dr. Terrance Drew told reporters during a Round Table discussion earlier this year.
Dr. Drew also made it clear that the Federation would not be accepting deportees from Haiti.
“The Government wishes to assure the public that all relevant national security, immigration, and law enforcement agencies have been fully engaged in the process. The USA Government has also provided the relevant biographical, medical, and criminal background information available in relation to the individuals prior to their transfer,” the SKNIS statement added.
According to the government, the individuals are not being transferred due to criminal convictions, but rather for immigration violations in the United States. Officials also noted that the individuals are free, at their own discretion and subject to the immigration laws of their respective home countries, to return home if they choose.
The Government of St. Kitts and Nevis said it remains committed to the responsible management of migration matters, adherence to international obligations, and the maintenance of public safety and national security.
Members of the public were encouraged to rely on official government sources for accurate information and updates on the matter.