WASHINGTON, DC – THE United Nations’ efforts to contain the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are being hampered by attacks on health and humanitarian teams working on the ground.
The virus continues to spread, with nearly 5,000 confirmed cases and more than 2,300 deaths reported as of August 15, according to the United Nations, with the Ituri region remaining the epicentre of the outbreak.
During Tuesday’s (Aug. 18) press briefing at UN Headquarters in New York, UN Spokesman Stéphane Dujarric said the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported that an Ebola response team was attacked Monday in the town of Aru, in northern Ituri.
Three ambulances were vandalized and an ambulance driver was injured during an incident linked to the transfer of a suspected Ebola patient.
The UN Senior Ebola Coordinator, Julien Harneis, said the damage to the ambulances is particularly concerning because there are already too few of them to meet the needs of residents.
“The attack comes as humanitarian and health workers intensify efforts to scale up the Ebola response under increasingly challenging conditions. As of August 15th, national health authorities had reported nearly 5,000 confirmed Ebola cases and more than 2,300 deaths, with Ituri remaining the epicentre of this Ebola outbreak,” he told reporters.
Insecurity continues to affect civilians and humanitarian operations across the province.
UN humanitarian partners report that five civilians were killed and around 50 farmers abducted during an attack on August 15 in Mambasa Territory.
That followed another attack earlier this month that reportedly killed 16 people and displaced more than 15,000. The United Nations has called on all parties to the conflict to protect civilians, health workers and humanitarian personnel, while ensuring the safe delivery of life-saving assistance and health services.
The UN says protecting response teams and maintaining safe access to affected communities are critical to containing the Ebola outbreak.
Meanwhile, in Chad, the UN is also stepping up its response to a growing cholera outbreak.
Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher has allocated US$1 million from the Central Emergency Response Fund to support the response.
The outbreak has now reached western Lac Province, where newly displaced people face heightened risks because of limited access to clean water, sanitation, maternal health and other essential services.
As of August 16, 484 cholera cases and 21 deaths had been reported across three provinces in Chad, including 218 cases in Lac Province.
Fletcher released another US$3 million earlier this month from CERF to support thousands of people displaced by violence in Lac Province.
UN Humanitarian Coordinator Dr. François Batalingaya has also allocated US$3 million from the Regional Humanitarian Fund for West and Central Africa.
Since May, armed clashes have forced more than 75,000 people, mostly women and children, to flee their homes. Many have arrived at displacement sites with little or no access to shelter, water, healthcare, nutrition and protection services.
Fletcher said the latest funding will help humanitarian partners strengthen disease surveillance and treatment capacity, while improving access to safe water and sanitation.