BASSETERRE, St. Kitts – LESS than 20 hours after the shooting-death of David ‘Dibaloo’ Thomas in Buckley’s Estate, another young man was killed and two others wounded in a shooting incident in Lower Cayon tonight (Aug. 14).
Dead is 29-year-old Karando ‘Kasper’ Otto of Warner Street, Lower Cayon and hospitalised are Deshawn Williams (27) and Patnell Isaac (24), both of whom also reside in Lower Cayon.
According to the Head of the Criminal Investigation Department, Inspector Franklyn Belgrove, the three men were on their way home from a football match at the St. Mary's Park when an unidentified individual fired a number of shots at them while in the vicinity of Gumbs Used Parts & Tire Shop.
Belgrove said Otto died on the spot while Williams was shot in the right leg and Isaac in the left ankle.
Both men were transported to the JNF Hospital by a unit from the Emergency Medical Services, where they are currently warded.
Residents of the area claimed that the three young men were among a group of football fans walking along the Island Main Road, and when they had reached in the vicinity of Gumbs Used Parts & Tire Shop an unmasked man appeared suddenly and started shooting at them.
“I don’t think that the gunman wanted to shoot Kasper…it was other people in the group that he wanted to kill. Kasper was not a gang member. He was a young man with a quiet disposition, mannerly and had always shown respect for his elders. It’s unfortunate that he lost his life like that…an innocent victim to some unscrupulous and trigger happy man,” one resident said.
The resident also said that one of the bullets struck Otto in his head.
The body of the father of two was removed from the scene by Jenkins Funeral Home under police escort after the District Medical Officer, Dr. Garfield Alexander, pronounced him dead.
Inspector Belgrove said that a number of items of evidential value found at the scene were taken into custody for further analysis.
He declared that no suspect has so far been held in connection with the incident and that the police are appealing to members of the public who may have information relative to the crime to call telephone numbers 911 or 466 9279 ext. 246.
He noted that information could be given anonymously and would be held in strict confidence.
Otto’s death has taken to 24 the number of homicides committed in the twin-island Federation for the year; 21 on St. Kitts and three on Nevis.
At approximately 1:30 this morning, 27-year-old David ‘Dibaloo’ Thomas was gunned down not far from his Buckley’s Estate home that he shared with his grandfather.
No one has been held in connection with this incident but police informed that investigations are ongoing.