BASSETERRE, St. Kitts – THE twin-island Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis goes into further mourning as another of the nation’s youth was this morning (Aug. 20) gunned down while in his bed.
Dead is 20-year-old Lincoln Liburd of Lime Kiln Housing Project, who is said to have been shot multiple times to the body.
Head of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Inspector Franklyn Belgrove, told SKNVibes that at about 4:45 a.m. officers at the Basseterre Police Station received a report of a shooting incident in the Lime Kiln area and members of various units, including the CID and Crime Scene Department, responded immediately.
“On arrival at the scene, investigations revealed that Lincoln Liburd, who lives in a small room in the same yard of his mother’s residence, was shot multiple times to his body including the head, face and abdomen.
“Investigations also revealed that he had been out of his home for the entire night and had returned at approximately 3:00 a.m. Apparently, the perpetrator or perpetrators had shot him from through one of the windows of the room,” Belgrove said.
The Inspector said that Liburd’s body was removed from the scene by Jenkins Funeral Home under police escort after the District Medical Officer, Dr. Mervyn Laws, had pronounced him dead.
Belgrove indicated that a number of items of evidentiary value were found at the scene and are in police custody for further analysis.
He also said that that no suspect(s) has so far been held in connection with the incident and that the police are “once more appealing to members of the public who may have information relative to this crime and others that have recently been committed to call telephone numbers 911 or 466 9279 ext. 246.
“Information can be given anonymously and it will be held in the strictest of confidence,” Belgrove added.
Liburd’s death marks the fifth homicide to have been committed in six days and the 27th for the year; matching the figure of those recorded in 2009.
Twenty-seven-year-old David ‘Dibaloo’ Thomas was the first of the five victims to have been killed over the six-day period.
He was shot multiple times to the body at about 1:30 a.m. on Sunday (Aug. 14) near to his Buckley’s Estate home that he shared with his grandfather. His death was the 23rd homicide recorded for the year.
Less than 20 hours later, Karando ‘Kasper’ Otto (29) of Warner Street, Lower Cayon was gunned down in that village while on his way home from a football match at the St. Mary’s Park.
On the following night, the body of Everad ‘Nitty’ Hewlett (31) was found lying in the bathroom of his Mad House Alley, Newtown residence with gunshot injuries to the head and lower abdomen.
His death was followed by 34-year-old Leon ‘Machine’ Thompson, who was gunned down in cold blood at about 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday (Aug. 17) while at the Ground Zero Bar in Buckley’s Estate.