The Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) Preparatory School was established for the children of the faculty and students of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. It is located on the RUSVM campus and follows a calendar that is very similar to the vet school.
The mission of RUSVM Prep School is to provide an appropriate school for children of faculty and students of RUSVM while they are living on St. Kitts. The school will ensure that each student achieves academic success, develops a lifelong love of learning and becomes a responsible citizen in a global community. This will be achieved through an enriched American curriculum taught by highly trained and qualified teachers committed to motivating students and working in partnership with parents and the administration of RUSVM.
Teachers are held responsible for following and enriching the Prep School’s specific curriculum. In recognition of the high transient rate of students, it is essential that the adopted course-of-study be followed. In utilizing the set curriculum, teachers may strengthen their presentation with supplemental knowledge, creativity and varied instructional techniques and are held accountable for teaching to the specific stated standards in each area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Actively works to be an accomplished teacher.
- Is up to date regarding curriculum content.
- Supports and participates in curriculum development.
- Uses a variety of teaching methods, techniques and strategies creating an environment that is positive for student learning and involvement.
- Monitors students’ understanding of the curriculum and adjusts instruction, materials, or assessments to meet developmental and academic needs of diverse learners.
- Plans effective and varied assessment of student learning and keeps accurate records of student progress.
- Demonstrates competence in using technology.
- Maintains appropriate standards of behavior, mutual respect and safety both in and out of the classroom.
- Encourages critical thinking and problem solving through prompts, questioning and application.
- Evaluates, tries innovative approaches, and refines instructional strategies to increase student learning and confidence to learn.
- Communicates learning goals, high standards, and expectations of quality to students.
- Promotes confidence and perseverance in the student that stimulate increased personal student responsibility for achieving the goals of the curriculum.
- Demonstrates appreciation for and sensitivity to diversity among individuals and differentiates for students with special needs.
- Is a team player and shares responsibility for accomplishing the goals and priorities of the RUSVM Prep School.
- Is a reflective and continuous learner.
- Contributes to the school community in at least one formal way beyond the classroom that does not include a stipend.
- Takes responsibility for reading and responding in a timely manner to information distributed by the administration.
- Communicates with colleagues to explore connections and ensure that there is consistency in the way the curriculum is taught.
- Is constructive and cooperative in interactions with administrator, teachers, parents, and students and is receptive to their contributions.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, flexibility, and enthusiasm for subjects taught.
- Actively works to plan class time so as to maximize learning and enjoyment.
- Promotes community service within and beyond the Ross community.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Part-time Spanish teacher.
- Bachelors degree in education required.
- Experience teaching a foreign language required.
- US teaching credentials would be an advantage.
- Experience integrating language and technology in the curriculum;
- Experience in modification and accommodation within the regular classroom;
- Team approaches; integrated arts curriculum
Excellent compensation package including free educational opportunities at DeVry University for employees and their spouse and/or children, pension plan and medical, dental and vision plan.