Opportunity at a Glance
The Mobile Patrol Specialist of the Safety and Security Department is responsible to his/her immediate supervisor, the Watch Supervisor. The Mobile Patrol Specialist II in addition to on campus duties, is responsible for leading the patrol in the designated patrol areas outside campus, ensuring the safety and protection of the students, faculty and staff. The Mobile Patrol Specialist may receive available training for the designation of Special Constable according to the appropriate Legislation in the Federation of St. Kitts/Nevis.
The Mobile Patrol Specialist due to his/her position, is held to a high level of confidentiality in the workplace. The Mobile Specialist Patrol is required to adhere to and enforce all RUSVM policies, procedures and protocols.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Patrols the environs where faculty and students reside to proactively ensure the safety of each Ross community member. Patrols may be extended to university campus buildings and grounds.
• To respond to emergencies on and off campus as may be required and to calls for service assistance from community members in a timely manner.
• Respond to incidents reported by RUSVM Community members as the first responder and would be the officer responsible for the initial investigation of the reported incident.
• Warns violators of rule infractions such as loitering, smoking in non-smoking areas, or carrying forbidden articles, may deter and aid in the apprehension of persons engaging in suspicious or criminal acts.
• Provide moral support, conduct interviews, in responding to reported incidents where RUSVM community members are involved; carry out the initial investigation of such reported incidents and subsequently submit an incident report to the supervisor.
• Responsible for understanding and to assist law enforcement in communication with affected community members.
• A Mobile Specialist as a sworn Island Constable, while on duty has powers of arrest for the apprehension of persons involved in criminal activity inside and outside the campus as may be required to protect community members, RUSVM property and other assets tangible and intangible.
• Is required to write an incident report and when required as appropriate to give evidence in court in support of a Ross community member.
• Assist with on-campus duties as required or may be detailed during a shift.
• Conduct courtesy visits in collaboration with the Dispatcher to faculty, students and colleagues who would have experienced a disturbing suspicious or crime incident.
• To complete and submit a written report to the supervisor after responding to a reported incident.
• To assist RUSVM community members by providing roadside assistance including change of vehicle defective wheels and jump starts.
• The incumbent once selected shall successfully complete the available training required to attain and maintain Special Constable Status (also known as Island Constable) in the Federation of St. Kitts/Nevis as a condition of continued employment.
• Assist with the change of shift inspections, cleaning and handing over of the security vehicle at the end of shift, completes other projects and duties as assigned.
• Enroll in various training programs and exercises to aid in personal growth and development.
• In the role of team lead, to support the supervisor during the shift, including leading the Watch as the team leader in the absence of the primary supervisor.
• Completes other duties as assigned.
• This position is a designated Campus Security Authority.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
• Education: 5 CXC Subject Passes preferred (including English)
• Experience: Previous law enforcement or relevant security experience,
• Specialized Knowledge for Performance of Job.
• Capable of writing proper detailed incident reports and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and writing in standard English.
• Must be willing to work on a shift basis including weekends and public holidays
• Should possess sound judgement to avoid becoming involved in vehicle chases or similar levels of retaliatory action.
• Patrolling Skills to ensure effective timing of patrols that will limit the likelihood of patrols being timed or predicted by criminals. Knowledge of use of strategies such as frequently reversing course would be an asset.
• Surveillance or observation skills to detect any irregularities and unauthorized persons around the property to prevent crime before they occur.
• Attention to detail to identify and observe criminal activities or suspicious behaviors.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Who We Are
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) offers an accredited Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree, postgraduate certification, integrated DVM/Master of Science (MSc) dual degree programs, and Doctoral (Ph.D.) degrees. Our unique program of broad-based curriculum integrates research opportunities and classroom study in St. Kitts with hands-on clinical training at affiliated AVMA-accredited veterinary schools. Cutting-edge curriculum with innovative technology and simulation provides the best possible training as we aim to lead veterinary training worldwide by creating an exemplary program uniquely designed to graduate today’s practice-ready veterinarians and tomorrow’s leaders and discoverers.
The mission of RUSVM is to provide the best learning environment to prepare students to become members and leaders of the worldwide public and professional healthcare team, advancing human and animal health (One Health) through research and knowledge exchange. Learn more about Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, part of Adtalem Global Education, at www.veterinary.rossu.edu.
Join the Ross University Team Today!
Apply online at https://careers.adtalem.com/us/en/ross-university-school-of-veterinary-medicine